Area of Refuge Sign Purpose and Materials
This area of refuge to right sign directs staff and visitors, especially the disabled, to an are of refuge.
An area of refuge in a public or high-rise building is a space designed to protect occupants during a fire or other emergency requiring evacuation, until rescue or assistance is available. Check local building code to learn about policy specifications, such as required two-way communication equipment, fire barriers, and emergency lights.
Areas of refuge are specifically required to have both marking and directional signage per §216.3, §216.4.2 & §216.4.3, Titles II and III of the DOJ’s 2010 ADA Standards.
If your facility requires signage we don’t offer, just give us a call or fill out the form at the bottom of our custom ADA room signs page. We look forward to hearing from you and many custom signs have no additional fees.
This sign is eligible for our end of life recycling program. When your sign needs change simply ship your signs to us and we’ll take care of the rest.
We first plane the raised sign elements off the wood base and dispose of them responsibly. Next, the wood sign base is shredded and the wood fibers get re-used as animal bedding, then as fertilizer, and finally they return to the earth as soil. We hope you can appreciate this is more responsible compared to the fossil fuel derived plastics used in most ADA signs. To make it easy to participate in our product recycling program we extend a 10% Green Dot Sign® credit for the value of the returned signs. To learn more or get started, visit our Eco-Friendly Approach page and expand the “recycling” section at the bottom.
Choose the color that fits your area of refuge to right sign best! To see our real colors and get a sample you can hold and touch before ordering, just visit our sample sign page.
- Interior sign with ADA-compliant letters, braille and pictograms
- Aspen wood base, US grown and processed FSC® 100% timber
- Direct fused 3D printed thermo-set acrylic raised features
- Beveled wood edges and ultra-fine sanded finish
- Wood is sealed with natural plant oils, no heavy metals, no plastic coatings
- Reduce plastic demand, sequester carbon, promote responsible forestry
- End of life return-for-credit policy insures responsible disposal and wood fiber re-use
- Bring the beauty of nature to your interior space