Sign Purpose and Materials
Ramp to the left signs like this can be an important component of a building sign package. If a particular route is accessible and the slope is greater then 1:20, then ramps are required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If not all routes into or inside of a facility are ramp accessible we advise using wayfinding signage. Signs that guide to an accessible ramp should be placed at each point in which staff and visitors decide which direction to go.
For more information on federal ramp legal guidelines, we recommend this page put together by US Access Board.
For ramps signs in particular there can be confusion about when you need visual characters or tactile characters. Exterior signs that are not located at the door to a ramp do not require tactile characters. However, tactile character descriptors are required for permanent rooms or spaces. A good rule of thumb is that most exterior ramp signs can have visual characters only, but most interior signage should have tactile characters for ADA compliance. Feel free to give us a call or email with questions. We are here to help.
This sign is eligible for our end of life recycling program. When your sign needs change simply ship your signs to us and we’ll take care of the rest.
We first plane the raised sign elements off the wood base and dispose of them responsibly. Next, the wood sign base is shredded and the wood fibers get re-used as animal bedding, then as fertilizer, and finally they return to the earth as soil. We hope you can appreciate this is more responsible compared to the fossil fuel derived plastics used in most ADA signs. To make it easy to participate in our product recycling program we extend a 10% Green Dot Sign® credit for the value of the returned signs. To learn more or get started, visit our Eco-Friendly Approach page and expand the “recycling” section at the bottom.
Choose the color that fits your ramp to the left sign best! To see our real colors and get a sample you can hold and touch before ordering, just visit our sample sign page.
- Interior sign with ADA-compliant letters, braille and pictograms
- Aspen wood base, US grown and processed FSC® 100% timber
- Direct fused 3D printed thermo-set acrylic raised features
- Beveled wood edges and ultra-fine sanded finish
- Wood is sealed with natural plant oils, no heavy metals, no plastic coatings
- Reduce plastic demand, sequester carbon, promote responsible forestry
- End of life return-for-credit policy insures responsible disposal and wood fiber re-use
- Bring the beauty of nature to your interior space